Saturday, March 4, 2006

Because Cars Are Still Necessary...

Cars are definitely still necessary in most places in the U.S., seeing as the mass transportation that exists in 99.5% of the places in the country is inadequate (or not dependable, right Mark?). Since it's been well shown that cars are a major source of CO2 emissions and contributing to global warming, people like me who are concerned about such things but still need their car to get around have a way to not feel as guilty:

TerraPass: I randomly found this site from a short article on another site I randomly found (surfing the net, dudes!). Since stopping driving altogether is not really possible for many people, TerraPass set up a service in which you can calculate your car's CO2 emissions from the make, model, and how much you drive, and then they recommend a TerraPass level. You then can buy a TerraPass, the money goes toward "fund[ing] clean energy from sources like wind farms, methane capture facilities, and more." In this way, you in effect make up for the CO2 pollution your car creates. You also get a decal to put in your window with your emission information. They're also audited by an independent agency which verifies your donation is doing what they tell you it is.

Unfortunately, I drive a lot. With Sam living in Saline (about 20 miles one way), class in Livonia (25 miles away), and bible study in Southfield (way too far away), I'm packing on the miles. My car gets decent gas mileage, but the TerraPass calculator figures I emit 17,158 lbs of CO2 a year, which qualifies me for the "Utility TerraPass." The highest level of course...

If I ever have money left over after I pay bills and buy gas, I'll have to try this, it looks like a great idea to me.

No comments: