Tuesday, July 3, 2007

What a Weekend! (Sunday: Larry Steeb 10K, Dinner & a Movie)

Unfortunately, our plans for Saturday didn't mesh well with our plans for Sunday. This year the traditional Whitmore Lake 4th of July festivities weren't held on the 4th of July. Instead they had the 10K race, Kiwanis chicken BBQ, and parade on Sunday the 1st, with the fireworks Tuesday the 3rd.


I have always done the 10K race, and this year it was renamed the Larry Steeb Memorial Independance Day Race, in honor of the long time Whitmore Lake teacher, cross country and track & field coach who passed away this February. So...I didn't feel like I couldn't do the run this year. However, the race started at 8:00am, we weren't preregistered, and we live in Saline (30 minutes away). As a result, we had to wake up after a scant 4 hours of sleep.


I can definitely say I didn't feel my best doing the run, but I had lots of extrinsic motivation to not just walk the course. There was (of course) a large number of students and alumni from Whitmore Lake High School, and I didn't really want to look like I was dogging it. In the end I finished with a pretty good time of 46:08.


Sam and I both went back home and took long naps. Later that afternoon we went out to Quarter Bistro- a New Orleans style restaurant- for dinner with her parents. We followed that up with a trip to the movie theater for a showing of Ratatouille, which I definitely recommend. It was quite funny & cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Fourth. Our Holiday was calmer. Fireworks the 3d downtown Bay City. Bike ride on the rail trail on the Fourth, 2,000 words on book two, capped by a late evening production of Caribbean Oyster Fritters with Mango Relish (Oyster-of-the-Month Club, April, 2007)(I know, I've missed a few months - I was going to do July, Oyster Shooters, but didn't think I could polish off 12 jiggers of vodka by myself, even if it is a Holiday) Dad Dubwa.