Thursday, June 28, 2007

Further than I thought!


If you decide to go into teaching, make sure you're okay with constantly taking graduate classes. You'll be required by state law to continue taking graduate level classes for the rest of your career. If you don't complete the required number of credits in the given time period you can lose your certification to teach. The fun part is that the state (Michigan in this case) doesn't help pay for teachers to meet those requirements. Some school districts do offer tuition reimbursement, but that's not a guarantee by any means. Whitmore Lake offers a limited tuition reimbursement once you've paid for the first 18 credits on your own.
I just looked up my EMU transcripts and discovered that I'll have finished my 18 credits by the end of this summer! Originally I was thinking it would happen at the end of the fall semester, but I didn't realize the last class I took was a 3 credit class. As a result, I'll qualify for tuition reimbursement THIS FALL (if it isn't nixed because of budget cuts, that is). It also means I can apply for my professional teaching certificate, and I'll be roughly halfway done with my Masters Degree! Woo!
In other news, tomorrow is the last day of my second Spring semester class, at which point I'll have officially earned 14 credits!

No comments: