Friday, April 6, 2007

Martian Invasion of Races

This past Sunday(4/1/07) I participated in the Martian Invasion of Races, which consisted on a 10K, Half-marathon, and full marathon. I opted for the half-marathon, which I figured I would be in good shape for when I initially signed up for it. In reality, I wasn't as prepared as I thought I should be (though I survived pretty easily).

We went with the Jamies, of whom the male version participated in the full marathon. He's been good about training during the winter and has said he's trying to run four marathons a year. I'm not so good about training during the winter (or the entire school year for that matter), so I didn't dare attempt a full marathon.

We were a little worried about the weather; thunderstorms were in the forecast and it was supposed to be a bit chilly. As it turned out, the weather was nearly perfect for running. It was in the upper forties to low fifties and overcast, and a drop didn't fall from the sky during the race itself. The course was marked with inflatable martians holding signs, and overall it was a good race.

I finished the half in 1:48:23, which I was quite happy with. I felt much better than I anticipated I would. A week and a half before I went on an 11-mile run; I ended up walking the last mile or so and didn't feel that great while running, so I was a little worried about running 13.1. Jamie finished the marathon in 3:58:54, which I believe he was happy with as well.

The pictures of me running are by the finish line. I look a lot better than I felt!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Meika said...

Ha! I'm entertained by the creative theme of this race. It almost inspires me to go for a run - maybe we should make this a goal race for next year. Where was it?

By the way, as impressive as the video posting appears, it was way too easy to do to qualify as overachieving. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I'm impressed. I'm just wondering why I am finding out about these things on the blog. Haven't I talked to you lately? :)Mom

Anonymous said...

Okay, I give up. Why are there arrows pointing to the non-green Martians? Is this some type of Martian code? A signal for the invasion?